Old enough to draw. If you are doing this with a pre-toddler (ages 12-18 months), it would be a good idea for you to offer lots of help and draw things on the place mat for your child (but let her color, too). No matter the age of your child, she will love it if you join in and do one of your own.
- Poster board (I was going to buy a piece and then cut it up, but I found a package of pre-cut poster board at Dollar Tree for the same price as one sheet).
- Crayons/markers/paint...whatever you want to use. You could even use old magazines and cut and glue things you are thankful for.
- Contact paper
- Give your child the poster board.
- Have her color things she is thankful for. I think it is a good idea to talk about what thankful means and give her some ideas. This is where you doing it with her is helpful; she will watch you and learn by example.
- When you are done, cover the place mat with contact paper.
- Use it at your meals! This could be a fun Thanksgiving dinner activity. Everyone could make their place mat and then talk about what they are thankful for before the meal starts.