Welcome!

This blog is here for you to find fun learning activities to do with your children. We share great ideas we find and love on the Internet, as well as ideas we come up with on our own! We also like to share resources we find helpful.

To find ideas for your child, click on the age range blog label or on the theme/topic you are looking for (on the left side of the page). In each post, we try to list optimal age ranges for the activity, but you must judge for yourself if it is appropriate for your child. When you try an activity out, please comment and let us (and everyone else) know how your child liked it!

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Find The Letter

This is a fun activity to help learn letters. Valerie has done it with her four year old and he really loved it. It adds fun to the "quizzing" of letters. This is meant for the 3-5 year old, but if you have a child younger than that who knows letters, go for it.

SUPPLIES
  • Paper
  • Scissors
  • Pen or Marker
  • Three cups

PREPPING

  1. Cut out circles of paper that will be small enough to hide under your cup. I have a circle punch I use for scrapbooking, which made this very easy to make. If you don't have a punch, you could trace circles onto paper. You could also just make squares small enough to fit under your cup.
  2. Write different letters on each piece of paper. I wrote the uppercase letter on one side of the circle and lowercase on the other side of the circle. If you don't like your handwriting, you could use alphabet stickers.

ACTIVITY

  1. Set out three cups on the table.
  2. Place a letter under one of the cups.
  3. Have your child guess which cup the paper is under.
  4. Have your child identify which letter it is once he finds it.
  5. Take turns hiding the letters. My son's favorite is hiding the letters for me to find.

PHOTO
Here is a photo of the letters I made. I have shown both upper case and lower case letters:


CREDIT
I got this idea from the Preschooler's Busy Book by Trish Kuffner, page 118. For more about this book, see Book Review: The Preschooler's Busy Book .

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I did this activity this morning with the 3 year old boy I nanny for and he LOVED it! He was just thrilled and showed his dad how to play it now too :)

Valerie Plowman said...

Cool! Brayden really loved it, too. He just laughed his head off the whole time.

Kelly said...

ya know I have that book and don't remember seeing that in there. I will have to go back and see what else I missed!! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails