Today we made lunch together. Both loved it, and spinach was part of the process! No scrunched up noses, picking leaves out, or refusals. Success!
(I wanted to take a picture, but I needed both hands to directing the slopping of pizza sauce and cheese.)
Twirly Whirly Pizzas (from Parents magazine)-- These pizzas end up looking like little cinnamon rolls.
Ingredients: pizza dough (homemade or refrigerated), pizza sauce (or marinara or leftover spaghetti sauce), fresh spinach leaves, mozzerella cheese (or whatever you have in the pantry).
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle on a floured surface. Hard to make a mistake, so you can let your munchkin help.
- Spread sauce over the dough.
- Top with cheese.
- Top with spinach.
- From the short side, roll into a tube shape.
- Cut into 8 pieces and put in a greased pie pan. Top with more cheese.
- Cook on 400 for 20-22 minutes.
If you want to see a picture of what it'll look like, click here.
This is a great way to get your kids involved in cooking and trying new foods. My daughter, apparently frightened by anything green these days, was eating raw spinach leaves as we cooked.