Welcome!

This blog is here for you to find fun learning activities to do with your children. We share great ideas we find and love on the Internet, as well as ideas we come up with on our own! We also like to share resources we find helpful.

To find ideas for your child, click on the age range blog label or on the theme/topic you are looking for (on the left side of the page). In each post, we try to list optimal age ranges for the activity, but you must judge for yourself if it is appropriate for your child. When you try an activity out, please comment and let us (and everyone else) know how your child liked it!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Chalk Shapes


The weather was beautiful. It was shape and color day. I had an activity planned, but it was for indoors and I didn't want to be inside and neither did the kids. So, I did an impromptu chalk shape game.

I drew large shapes on the ground in chalk. I did every basic shape I could think of. I then called out a shape and had my kids run to it. I didn't think my five year old would like the game at all (too easy) but he played along. It really worked well with my two year old. She doesn't have every shape down yet, and following big brother around helped her learn more about shapes. If you have a toddler and no older siblings, you can definitely run around with your toddler. 

You could also draw multiple shapes all over the driveway for multiple children if you need to make it more challenging.

2 comments:

The Normans said...

Did this, this week. Thanks for the tip! So long as it doesn't rain, we'll have lots of entertainment in the driveway for the 2-year-old this week. I think I'll carry on the theme and do numbers or letters next week.

Kristy Powers said...

Love it. Simple but effective. I also think having a 5YO do it along with my 2YO will make a big difference for both of them enjoying it and getting something out of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails