Welcome!

This blog is here for you to find fun learning activities to do with your children. We share great ideas we find and love on the Internet, as well as ideas we come up with on our own! We also like to share resources we find helpful.

To find ideas for your child, click on the age range blog label or on the theme/topic you are looking for (on the left side of the page). In each post, we try to list optimal age ranges for the activity, but you must judge for yourself if it is appropriate for your child. When you try an activity out, please comment and let us (and everyone else) know how your child liked it!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pattern Block Piece Picture


First off, sorry about my very long hiatus! I really needed a break from worrying about getting posts up here, so I took it. Sometimes you just need to let things go, you know?

We of course didn't let doing learning activities go, so on with the posting!

This is a great activity to work math skills. 

SUPPLIES:
  • paper
  • glue
  • crayons (optional)
  • scissors
  • pattern blocks or pattern shapes printed off of your computer (you can make the shapes in a Word document and print them out)

ACTIVITY
Have your child trace the pattern block pieces onto a paper and then cut them out. If you don't have pattern block pieces, just create some shapes in Word and print them out. If your child isn't able to trace and cut, do this for your child beforehand.

Have your child take the pieces and create a picture. Older children can use their creativity. For younger children, you will likely need to give direction (like, let's make a cat with these shapes).

Have your child glue the pieces in place and use crayons to add some details to make the picture if desired.

3 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

Great to have you back, and yes, glad you took a break! Cute idea too!

Alicia Conway said...

I have to admit that I had some troubles with engraing love for sport in my children. But I can boast of coping with the problem. Here's my method:
Sport and Children
By the way, I followed you up with GFC, it'd be great if you follow me back.

Michele Latham said...

Cute and simple! I'm going to try it with my preschoolers. Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails