Welcome!

This blog is here for you to find fun learning activities to do with your children. We share great ideas we find and love on the Internet, as well as ideas we come up with on our own! We also like to share resources we find helpful.

To find ideas for your child, click on the age range blog label or on the theme/topic you are looking for (on the left side of the page). In each post, we try to list optimal age ranges for the activity, but you must judge for yourself if it is appropriate for your child. When you try an activity out, please comment and let us (and everyone else) know how your child liked it!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Gingerbread Fun







This week the girls and I have been reading The Gingerbread Man, The Gingerbread Baby and other versions of the story.
I decided to let the girls practice decorating on paper before we got to the actual cookies to decorate. Add glitter and glue to anything and my girls are happy. :) It's a super easy activity, a chance for them to show lots of creativity, and just plain fun! Using glue provided lots of practice with fine motor skills, too. I simply cut out a bunch of gingerbread shapes, and then provided decorating supplies for them to go crazy with. For the glue, I put some Elmer's in a small container and gave them cotton swabs to use. Much easier than handling a glue bottle, especially for my 1 year old.
They turned out adorable, and they spent (willingly) at least an hour working on them.

3 comments:

April said...

i love the glue and cotton swab thing! even if some is wasted, it can't be as much than when my 2 year old get a hold of the glue bottle! thanks for the tip! how do you do glitter with such little ones?

Valerie Plowman said...

So fun! I am excited to give that a try. Gingerbread week...sounds fun.

Raegan said...

I transfer glitter into small containers, if they aren't already in them (like small spice containers). I use trays that I bought from Oriental Trading--you can see them in the pic. I used to use baking sheets before I bought them. Then I tape off a few of the holes so tons of glitter doesn't come out. They have to really shake to get a big amount of glitter, but the glitter lasts longer and they don't seem to care. :) You definitely still get some around, but it's minimalized a lot by doing those things.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails